FAQs- Assessments and Exams

Below are some links to answers to some of our most commonly asked questions. 

We understand that students with disabilities and/or Specific Learning Difficulties, who have exams during the Covid_19 pandemic may have many questions.

We have produced some advice and information to help.

Please click on the links for:

Online Exam Helpful IT Tips: Online_Exam_Helpful_IT_Tips.docx

Specialist Software: Specialist_Software.docx

How do I know if I have disability-related exam support?

Having discussed your support needs with you, the Disability and Dyslexia Service will issue you a letter which outlines the examination adjustments you can make use of. This letter is called a Student Support Plan. These adjustments will also be recorded on SOLE. Adjustments might be things like extra time or a small group environment.

In the weeks running up to any exam , you will be emailed to ask you to select which adjustments you wish to take up. You can do this by selecting your exam choices online using SOLE. It is your responsibility to select which options you wish to use or you will not have any adjustments in place.

What if I want to discuss my exam adjustments?

If at any stage you want to discuss changes to your exam adjustments please make an appointment to see a Disability Advisor in the Peirson Study and Guidance Centre, or for adjustments relating to mental health difficulties you should contact the Counselling and Mental Health Service. However, this must be done before the exam selection deadline or else there will not be time to put these in place for the forthcoming exams.

What should I do if I don’t have a Student Support Plan?

Contact the Disability and Dyslexia Service, or if appropriate the Counselling and Mental Health Service straight away to discuss. You should make contact at least 4 weeks prior to the examination date as late applications will not usually be considered.

If I have a Student Support Plan do I need to do anything to ensure I get the support referred to in exams?

If you have an adjustment for extra time only, then you will be sitting your exam with the main cohort (unless you hear differently from Registry Exams Officer) and you will be given the same exam/test information as other students concerning where to go.

If you have any other adjustments - for example the use of support worker or equipment or a separate room - then you should have selected which exam adjustments you wish to take up.


For exam weeks: The Disability and Dyslexia Service will be in touch with students eligible for a scribe and or reader. The Exams Officer in Registry co-ordinates provisions and is in touch with students who have other adjustments.

For in-class tests:- Your module tutor organises your provisions. It is therefore essential that you give your module leader your up-to-date Student Support Plan well in advance of your test (and at least 4 weeks prior to the test date).

Please ensure you respond to any requests for information concerning your exam / in-class test provisions otherwise support may not be arranged.

Will I need to bring anything along to the exam / in-class test in relation to my adjustments?

You should bring your Student Support Plan letter to the exam / in-class test in case you are asked to confirm your adjustments when you arrive.

If you use coloured overlays to read please bring these.

Any equipment you are permitted to use will be supplied by the university unless otherwise advised.

Whom should I contact if I have queries relating to my exam arrangements?

General enquiries concerning eligibility for alternative assessment arrangements and organising a Support Worker for an upcoming exam:

Disability and Dyslexia Service
01905 85 5531
Peirson Study and Guidance Centre

Counselling and Mental Health Service (to discuss adjustments relating to mental health difficulties)01905 85 5447
Woodbury WB080

Enquiries relating to the practical organisation of your previously agreed exam arrangements:

For Examinations during exam weeks:

The Exams Officer
Registry Services
WB 090
01905 85 5032

For any in-class tests:

Your module leader

How do I know if I can have adjustments / alternative arrangements?

If you are registered with the Disability and Dyslexia Service you should have had a discussion about your support needs, including those relating to assessment, either with someone from the Service and / or with a Disabled Students Allowance Needs Assessor.

As a result you should have been issued with a Student Support Plan outlining your adjustments for you to pass on to your tutors at the beginning of each semester (or immediately if mid-semester) so they can fully support you. In addition, these adjustments are available to tutors via the online class list. 

If you do not have this plan or think that you have additional needs in relation to assessment please continue reading.

What do I do if I think that a mode of assessment poses disability-related difficulties for me?

Sometimes courses will have designed alternative assessments in to their programmes so in the first instance speak to your tutor about this. However, if not arrange an appointment with a Disability Advisor within the Disability and Dyslexia Service because it might be possible for alternative assessment methods or adjustments to be considered. Please Note: You should contact the service at least 4 weeks prior to the assessment date as late applications will not usually be considered.

What sort of adjustments / alternative assessment arrangements might be allowed?

It is not possible to list all the arrangements that may be required but some of the most common exam arrangements include extra time, rest breaks, use of a computer, a scribe or reader, assistive technology. In other types of assessment a student might be permitted to make a presentation or video instead of a written project, and vice versa. 

The type of adjustments or alternative arrangements will depend on a number of factors including the barriers that are being experienced and what competencies, skills and abilities are essential to be demonstrated.

What if I choose not to make use of the recommended adjustments / alternative arrangements?

The university is continually working towards an inclusive programme of study, which means that when academic programmes are designed, consideration is given to what disability related barriers exist, with a view to minimising these wherever possible before finalising the programme.

Although this approach won’t entirely remove the needs for adjustments, it should have the effect of dramatically reducing the need for individual adjustments.

Although you don’t have to utilise any recommended adjustments, you should think carefully before making this decision as adjustments / alternative arrangements are intended to give you maximum opportunity to demonstrate your skills and ability. Choosing not to use them might adversely affect your performance and therefore the grade awarded to your work.

Contact us

We meet with students in a confidential space in firstpoint.  To book a Disability Advisor appointment please contact or visit firstpoint, which is open Monday to Friday 9:00am - 4:00pm, and is situated in the Peirson Study and Guidance Centre on St Johns Campus.  

Telephone: 01905 542551    Email: firstpoint@worc.ac.uk

To contact the team directly please email disability@worc.ac.uk or telepone 01905 855531

We are also on Twitter  https://twitter.com/UoWDDS

A detailed access guide to the Peirson Centre can be found on AccessAble.co.uk