How to access Disability Support

This page provides a step-by-step guide to arranging and funding support.

In order to fully access support at the University of Worcester you will need to take the following steps:

  • Disclose a disability
  • Provide evidence
  • Speak to a Disability Adviser
  • Apply for funding for your disability-related support needs
  • Agree your student support and entitlements
  • Share information with tutors
  • Keep in touch 

This process takes time so it is important that you are in touch with us as soon as possible. 

Disclosing a disability

  • Complete our online registration form (sent to students when they accept an offer of a place at the University)
  • Contact the Disability and Dyslexia Service (DDS) 
  • Talk to a tutor, or your Institute Disability Link Tutor. 

Speak to a Disability Adviser

Disability Advisers are contactable throughout the year and offer advise and support to both prospective and current students. You can then explore potential support options and decide if you do, or do not, wish to take them up.You can access a Disability Adviser in the following ways:

  • Come and speak to us at University Open Days and Applicant Days. 
  • Attend one of our DDS Information Days (contact for more details)
  • Book a Disability Adviser appointment. You may make an appointment to see a disability adviser in person or by telephone or Skype. Contact or ring Firstpoint on 01905 542551

Provide evidence of your disability or medical condition

You will need to provide evidence of your disability in order for the University to arrange support. Evidence is also required for funding applications. You can send this direct to or upload online via our registration email. 

Apply for funding for your disability-related support needs

When you meet a disability adviser, they will discuss possible support options with you. Some types of support require you to apply for funding. This is usually via the Disabled Students Allowance (DSA). The funding available, and the methods to access it, varies depending on your home country, your course of study and the body who is funding your studies. If required your Disability Adviser can help you to access the correct paperwork and can guide you through the application process, including attending a Needs Assessment.

Agreeing your Student Support and adjustments 

When DDS has appropriate evidence of your disability and have talked to you about its impact, they will summarise briefly any recommendations for your support in a document called a Student Support Plan (SSP)

Sharing information with tutors

We will need your consent to do this, once we have your consent this will be shared, using the Student Support Plan (SSP), on the class lists for tutors and lecturers to access.

Keeping in touch 

The Disability and Dyslexia Service is here to help you throughout your studies with us. Therefore, if during your studies your needs or circumstances change or your support is not working you can discuss making changes with a Disability Advisor. To do this just contact us a book an appointment.  


Contact us

We meet with students in a confidential space in firstpoint.  To book a Disability Advisor appointment please contact or visit firstpoint, which is open Monday to Friday 9:00am - 4:00pm, and is situated in the Peirson Study and Guidance Centre on St Johns Campus.  

Telephone: 01905 542551    Email:

To contact the team directly please email or telepone 01905 855531

We are also on Twitter

A detailed access guide to the Peirson Centre can be found on