Field Trips and International Travel
Page under review
Students on Field Trips and International Travel
University of Worcester like all other employers has a statutory duty under the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 to ensure, as far as reasonably practicable, the health, safety and welfare of their employees. The University also has a responsibility to manage its business so as to ensure, so far as reasonably practicable, the health, safety and welfare of non-employees, which will include students.
The legal situation would appear to be, although this has never been tested in court, is that University of Worcester has some responsibility for the health and safety of students whilst on Field Trips and International Travel . It may even be the case that students remain University of Worcester’s responsibility, even though the institution may have no control over the student’s activities on Field Trips and International Travel .
Students themselves have a responsibility to take care of their own health and safety and that of their colleagues.
Responsibilities and Requirements of University of Worcester Departments
- There should be clear written information and guidelines for students
- The department should notify the student in writing of the academic and welfare support services that are available whilst on Field Trips and International Travel
- There should be an identified point of contact at the University for students whilst they are away on Field Trips and International Travel
- Legal, financial and health and safety responsibilities should be documented and copies kept within the department
Responsibilities and Requirements of the Student
- These should be explicit, clear and available in written format
- Students should prepare themselves adequately for the placement and ensure that they are aware of ethical and health and safety issues involved in the Field Trips and International Travel
- Students should have a copy of these
Organising Your Field Trip and Risk Assessment
The key thing is to plan your field trip well in advance. The University has produced the following guidance that all trip organisers must read and complete BEFORE you travel.
The Universities Safety and Health Association has recently published the following guidance which will be adopted by the University. Please read this as future guidance and policy documents will be based around these documents.