Healthcare Costs

Healthcare Costs


Healthcare Costs

If you are aged 19 or over you may be asked to pay for prescriptions and some health care services provided by the National Health Service (NHS) unless you meet certain criteria NHS exemption

Students in full-time education who are under the age of 19 are usually automatically entitled to full help with healthcare costs via the Student Specific Low Income Scheme

NHS Prescription Costs

  • The current prescription charge is £9.00 per item (June 2019)
  • A three monthly Prescription Prepayment Certificate (PPC) is £29.10 and could save you money if you need 4 or more items in 3 months
  • A 12 month certificate is £104.00 and could save you money if you need more than 12 items in a year. 

(Prices correct as at June 2019)

NHS Dental Charges

  • Band 1 £22.70 - This covers examinations, diagnosis (including X-rays), advice on how to prevent future problems, scale and polish if necessary and preventative care.
  • Band 2 £62.10 - This covers everything listed in Band 1, plus any further treatment such as fillings, root canal work or if your dentist needs to take out one or more of your teeth.
  • Band 3 £269.30 – This covers everything listed in Bands 1 and 2, plus crowns, dentures, bridges and other laboratory work.

(Prices correct as at June 2019)

Help with Healthcare Costs

If you have a low income you may be able to get help with NHS costs through the NHS Low Income Scheme

The scheme covers:

  • NHS prescriptions
  • NHS dental treatment
  • Eye care costs - sight tests, glasses and contact lenses
  • Travel costs to receive NHS treatment
  • NHS wigs and fabric supports        

To apply for help with any of the above costs you need to complete a HC1 Form.  You will also need to supply information about your income and living costs. Click on link to left of this page to download a copy of the HC1 form.  Forms can also be obtained from firstpoint, doctors surgeries, local benefits offices and dentists or by calling the Health Costs help line on 0300 330 1343.

An assessment is carried out and depending upon your circumstances you can receive full help (HC2 certificate) or partial help (HC3 certificate). If you are eligible for partial help the HC3 certificate will tell you how much you have to pay towards your health costs.


More information

Click on link to left of this page to view the NHS HC11 Guide "Help with health costs"