Visiting Researchers

Visiting Researchers

The University runs a scheme for Visiting Researchers.  The scheme is aimed at postdoctoral researchers currently based at another (normally overseas) Higher Education Institution, although it may be extended to PhD students if appropriate.

The Scheme provides the Visiting Researcher with:

  • an IT account (including a University email account)
  • access to library facilities
  • office space and a PC
  • a mentor whose role is to support the researcher during his/her visit

There is a small fee of £300 per semester for this scheme.  Where a researcher wishes to have access to additional facilities, such as lab space and consumables, an additional fee will be charged to cover the cost of these.

The Visiting Researcher will be expected to play an active part in the University's research culture, for example: by attending and presenting at University seminars.

Applications for the scheme should consist of:

  • an up-to-date academic CV
  • a brief account of the research to be undertaken, including details of any facilities the researcher wishes to have access to and the dates for the visit (no more than two sides of A4)
  • evidence that the researcher has adequate funds to support him/herself and any dependents who will be traveling with him/her for the duration of the visit

Applications should be sent to Dr John-Paul Wilson (

If the University feels that the planned research is viable, that it has the resources to support the research and that the researcher has adequate funds, it will send the researcher an offer letter.  Where the researcher has applied for funding for the visit from some third party, the offer will be made conditional on the success of that application.

Visting researchers who are not EU citizens must obtain a visa to enter the UK.  It is the responsibility of the researcher to apply for the correct visa but below is some general guidance on Academic Visitor visas that the researcher may find useful:

Academic Visitors

An "Academic Visitor" is a person who is from an overseas academic institution or who is highly qualified within their own field of expertise seeking leave to enter the UK to carry out research and associated activities for their own purposes. An Academic Visitor is a sub-category of Business Visitor.


A person seeking leave to enter the United Kingdom as a Business Visitor, which includes Academic Visitors, must meet the requirements set out below.

1. The requirements to be met for a general visitor are:

(i) A limited period in the UK, not exceeding 6 months; and

(ii) Intends to leave at the end of the period of the visit; and

(iii) Does not intend to take employment in the United Kingdom; and

(iv) Does not intend to undertake a course of study; and

(v) Will maintain and accommodate her/himself and any dependants adequately out of resources available to her/him without recourse to public funds or taking employment; or will, with any dependants, be maintained and accommodated adequately by relatives or friends; and

(vi) Can meet the cost of the return or onward journey; and

(vii) Does not intend to do any of the activities provided for in paragraph 3 (iii), and

(viii) Does not intend to receive private medical treatment during their visit;

2. The requirements for an extension of stay as a general visitor are:

(i) Meets the requirements of paragraph 1; and

(ii) Has not already spent, or would not as a result of an extension of stay spend, more than 6 months in total in the United Kingdom as a general visitor; and

(iii) Has, or was last granted, entry clearance, leave to enter or leave to remain as a general visitor or as a child visitor.

3. The requirements for leave to enter as a Business Visitor are:

(i) The individual is genuinely seeking entry as a Business Visitor for a limited period:

(a) not exceeding 6 months; or

(b) not exceeding 12 months if seeking entry as an Academic Visitor

(ii) Meets the requirements of paragraph 1

(iii) Intends to do one or more of the following during the visit:

(a) To carry out a 'Permissible Activity' as defined in paragraph 6;

(b) To act as an Academic Visitor but only if s/he has been working as an academic in an institution of higher education overseas, or in the field of their academic expertise immediately prior to seeking entry;

(c) To act as a Visiting Professor;

(d) To undertake specific, one-off training in techniques and work practices used in the UK, provided this is not on-the-job training.

4. A person seeking leave to enter the United Kingdom as an Academic Visitor who does not have entry clearance may, if otherwise eligible, be admitted for a period not exceeding 6 months, subject to a condition prohibiting employment. An Academic Visitor who has entry clearance may be admitted for up to 12 months subject to a condition prohibiting employment.

5. Twelve months is the maximum permitted leave which may be granted to an Academic Visitor and six months is the maximum that may be granted to any other form of Business Visitor.

6. Permissible activities for a business visitor are:

(i) Attending meetings or conferences

(ii) Undertaking a clinical attachment or dental observer post 9granted for 6 weeks at a time up to a maximum of 6 months)

(iii) Undertaking academic visitor activities (see definition)

(iv) Undertaking Visiting professor activities (see definition)

(v) Speakers at conferences, provided they are 'one-off' and the event is not run as a money-making concern