We have student accommodation on our St John’s and City Campuses. 

General information about our accommodation can be found here.

If you need reasonable adjustments made to your room due to a disability, then we can agree and arrange them before your arrival. To do this you will need to declare your disability on your accommodation application and contact the Disability and Dyslexia Service.

Click the links below to find answers to some frequently asked questions.

Reasonable adjustments are dependent on what the condition is that needs the adjustment making and how easy to implement the adjustment is to make. 

Examples of reasonable adjustments could include: 

  • Having a fridge to store medication in. 

  • Installing electric toilets or grab rails to an en-suite room. 

  • Installing visual or vibrating fire alarms for someone who is hearing impaired. 

  • Having a kitchen labelled with tactile markings for visually impaired residents. 

If something isn’t a reasonable adjustment, but is something associated with a disability, that will improve your residential experience then it can be requested, and we will try to facilitate it. 

Examples of requests could include: 

  • Flats in quieter locations for residents who experience sensory overload.

Although a request can never be guaranteed, our accommodation team endeavour to achieve them where possible.  

Selected rooms can be viewed if you visit the University on one of our Open Days (link to Open day page on main website). If you have very specific, or complex, accommodation needs then a personal visit can be arranged over the summer, or our accommodation team can do an online virtual tour of a room with you. 

Email to discuss accommodation visits, either in person or virtually. 

If you have specialist furniture or equipment at home that you need in your university accommodation, that is required because of a disability, then please email In some cases, equipment that you have at home can be brought with you, and we can support you in arranging this.  

The University is unable to provide personal care for a resident e.g., getting dressed or washed etc. This remains the responsibility of the student to arrange for a carer to be provided by their local social services. 

Where a carer is supplied by social services, and the carer needs to be with the student 24 hours per day, then we have some accessible student rooms with neighbouring carers rooms. The student remains responsible for the cost of both rooms if they are unable to secure funds from social services to pay for the carer’s residential facilities. 

Yes. If you have applied for a room in university accommodation and an offer has been made, you should accept the offer, even if we are still discussing how to implement any reasonable adjustments you may need. 

We are unable to guarantee a room for your entire course, but returning students who have a disability, and have been in university accommodation in the previous year, are given priority over other returning students who have applied for accommodation.  

Get in touch


Phone: 01905 855531

Book an appointment with a disability adviser. 

We offer online appointments using Microsoft Teams or in person at firstpoint, Peirson Centre, St Johns Campus.

Appointments last a maximum of 45 minutes.