Specialist one to one study skills support
If you have been recommended a University of Worcester study skills tutor, this page sets out what you can expect from your University of Worcester specialist one to one support sessions and what the expectations are of you.
What you can expect from us
- Our specialist academic support tutors are fully qualified and experienced in supporting students to develop strategies necessary for successful university study.
- You will be supported in a confidential environment.
- You can have rest breaks at any time during the session.
- During your first session, your tutor will explain their role and share details about what to expect from support sessions.
- Your tutor will create a work plan in collaboration with you highlighting areas of focus. This will be regularly reviewed.
What do we expect from you?
- Actively engage with your support professional.
- Complete work/ activities before each session where appropriate.
- Treat staff with respect and avoid swearing or verbal abuse.
- Avoid using your mobile phone during the session unless asked to do so.
Attendance & cancellation procedure
- You can book and manage your study skills appointments using our booking system, contact firstname.lastname@example.org for access. If you require any support making a booking, contact our office team at email@example.com or 01905 855531 and they will be happy to help you.
- Appointments can be booked up to 12 weeks in advance so you can plan your support.
- You can choose to have your support session in person in your tutor’s room on St John’s campus or remotely using Microsoft Teams.
- You are expected to attend all scheduled sessions at the times agreed.
What if I need to cancel or reschedule a session?
If you need to cancel or reschedule a session, you are expected to do this using our booking system with as much notice as possible. If you are unable to do this, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01905 855531 and they will advise your tutor that you cannot attend on your behalf.
Please note that if you are cancelling with less than 24 hours notice, you will need to contact your specialist academic support tutor directly. You will also be asked to confirm the missed session details on a timesheet.
If you are unable to provide at least 24 hours’ notice you will be required to confirm the missed session details on a timesheet.
What happens if I miss sessions?
If you miss more than two sessions during a semester, funding will not be available for any further absences in that semester. Should you miss another session, your support may be suspended.
Your support sessions will be monitored, and support may be withdrawn if you do not adhere to the terms of the student support agreement.
How do I confirm that sessions have taken place?
Your support sessions will be recorded on a timesheet which you will be asked to approve via email by your specialist academic support tutor.
You are expected to respond within 3 working days wherever possible. Your support may be withdrawn if you repeatedly fail to confirm support sessions.
What is my circumstances change?
If your circumstances change and this affects your eligibility for support e.g., if you temporarily withdraw from study or move to part time you are required to inform your support professional and discuss your change in circumstances with your funding body e.g., Student Finance England.
What do I do if I am unhappy about my support sessions or want to provide feedback?
In the first instance we suggest you discuss this with your study skills tutor, alternatively, please contact email@example.com . You can find more information about the university’s complaints procedure at https://www2.worc.ac.uk/firstpoint/complaints