Mitigating circumstances

Mitigating circumstances are the procedures you can use to tell the University that something is preventing you from submitting your work in the normal way. 

How can firstpoint help?

firstpoint can provide information on the Mitigating Circumstances procedure and help you locate the claim form on your SOLE page under the ‘Assessment’ tab. You will find a helpful video available on your SOLE page when you click the Mitigating Circumstances option.

firstpoint are happy to discuss how to complete a claim and provide guidance on eligibility and on what grounds you may apply. However, we are unable to help you write your personal statement or give an opinion on the strength of your claim. 

All claims must be supported by independent evidence and where possible you should upload this to your claim form via the SOLE page. This could be a clear photograph or scanned copy. You can do this when you first make your claim or later, when your claim is reviewed, and you are asked to upload evidence by the Mitigating Circumstances Officer.  It is best to upload the evidence yourself to avoid any unnecessary delay but if you are unable to attach evidence to your claim, please email it directly to 


If your mitigating circumstances are also affecting your dissertation and you are unable to complete your dissertation by the submission date, please speak to your supervising tutor about applying for an extension.   

If applying for an extension is an appropriate option, apply via the 'Course Information' tab of your SOLE page. Click on the 'IS/Dissertation/Project Extension Request' button to start the process. This must be completed at least 2 weeks before the work is due in. 

More information can be found on the Dissertation FAQ page.

Other sources of support 

The Students' Union have produced guidance on their webpages for both mitigating circumstances and extension requests. You can also speak confidentially with an SU adviser.

Speak with firstpoint

If you are dealing with circumstances that are affecting your wellbeing, mental health, financial situation or ability to continue your studies, please contact us, so that we can help to refer you to the relevant support services.