firstpoint is dedicated to helping students access information and support during their studies.

We are based in the Peirson Study and Guidance Centre on St John’s Campus.

Advisers are available Monday to Friday.  For opening times please visit our homepage.

Telephone: 01905 542551

Suspend or Withdraw from Study

If you are thinking about leaving University, whether suspending temporarily or withdrawing permanently from your course, firstpoint is available for guidance and advice.  

You can contact us in person at the firstpoint counter, by telephone or email.  We will be happy to talk you through what you need to do but we’d also like the opportunity to discuss other options with you.  These might include accessing additional support that may be available or considering alternative choices, such as a change of course, pathway or mode of study.

Please click here if you need to take a short break of one week or longer.

What to do first
Please meet with your personal academic tutor if you are considering suspending your studies. If you are unsure who this is, we can help you find their contact details.  Students on vocational/professional courses, such as nursing, teaching and paramedic science, must meet with their course lead to discuss the situation.

Personal difficulties
If you are having personal difficulties, we can help with a range of support, including a confidential Counselling and Mental Health Service, Student Support and Wellbeing Team, the University Chaplain and the Disability and Dyslexia Service, amongst others.  To find out how to arrange a meeting with these teams, please see our booking appointments page.

Programme Advisers
The Programme Advisory Service assists students in the planning and registration of programmes of study, including advice on the selection of modules, and changing subjects or pathways.  We recommend that you speak with a Programme Adviser to discuss your circumstances, as you may be able to change your course or perhaps consider part time study as an option. 

If you are in receipt of external funding such as Student Finance or a bursary, this will be affected by your decision to withdraw. You can find more information about this on the government website. You may also be liable for a % of the tuition fees for this academic year. Please see our tuition fee policy for further information on the charges.

If you are living in University accommodation, you will be charged for your accommodation until such time as you have returned the keys and completed the withdrawal process. 

Money Advice
If you need guidance about financial matters, please make an appointment with our Money Advice team. To book, please contact us at the firstpoint counter, by telephone or email.

Careers Advice
If you decide to change university or apply for a job or vocational training, the Careers & Employability Service can help. They can be contacted via email or you can book an appointment on the Careers & Employability booking portal.

To make sure you are formally withdrawn, you need to complete the online withdrawal from study form.  You can find the link on your SOLE page under the 'Course Information’ tab.

Further information and guidance notes are available on the Registry Services webpages.