firstpoint is dedicated to helping students access information and support during their studies.

We are based in the Peirson Study and Guidance Centre on St John’s Campus.

Advisers are available Monday to Friday.  For opening times please visit our homepage.

Telephone: 01905 542551

Taking a short break from your studies

If you are considering taking a break from your studies, you may find it helpful to speak to someone from Student Services.

We can help with a range of support, including a confidential Counselling and Mental Health Service, Student Support and Wellbeing Team and the Disability and Dyslexia Service, amongst others.  Contact firstpoint for more information or find out how to arrange a meeting on our booking appointments page.

A break from studies may be dependant on which course you are studying and how long you need to be away.

Temporary Leave of Absence (very short periods only)

If you are hoping to take a break for one week or longer, you must consult with your course leader and obtain their approval.

You will have to complete the "Temporary Leave of Absence" form and your course leader will need to sign it.  

The form can be found on the Registry Services webpages.  

Temporarily Withdraw from Studies

If you are considering suspending your studies, we would advise that in the first instance you meet with your personal academic tutor.  

Students on vocational/professional courses such as Nursing, Teaching & Paramedic etc. must meet with their course lead to discuss the situation.

You can find more information on our webpage suspend or withdraw from study.