Students who are Carers

Whilst life at University can be a very rewarding and life-affirming experience, students will still experience many of the same challenges they would in any other walk of life, and many students will have commitments outside of their studies.  It is important to feel able to strike a balance between studying and those other commitments so that you can keep on top of your studies and make the most out of your time here.  We recognize that for those of you who have caring responsibilities, this can be a particular challenge, especially if your caring role means that you may experience periods of unpredictability in terms of the demand on your time. 

Am I a Carer?

A Carer is anyone who cares, unpaid, for a friend or family member who due to illness, disability, a mental health problem or an addiction cannot cope without their support. 

Am I a carer?

Anyone could be a Carer - a 15-year-old girl looking after a parent with an alcohol problem, a 40-year-old man caring for his partner who has terminal cancer, or an 80-year-old woman looking after her husband who has Alzheimer's disease.

Young Adult Carers are young people aged 16-25 who provide unpaid care to someone, usually a member of their family, on a regular basis.  They may care for a parent, sibling, grandparent or other relative who has a disability, long-term illness, mental health problem or other condition which results in a need for care, support or supervision. 

What can I do to stay on top of things?

If you are a Carer, it's helpful to be as open as possible with your Academic Tutors about your caring role and how this may affect your studying, and to discuss with them how you can be enabled to manage your studying commitments within this.

You can also come and chat with us here at the Student Support and Wellbeing Team.  Our Student Support Advisers are here to provide you with a listening ear, and may be able to signpost you to other services at the University that could help you.  To arrange an appointment, you can contact firstpoint or alternatively email us directly at

Networking and Planning

Organisations which help Carers

There are both local and national organisations that offer a range of advice, practical support and information for you if you have caring responsibilities.  You can visit Worcestershire County Council's Support for Carers hub and the Carers Trust for more information. 

Young Adult Carers
Young Adult Carers Guidebook If you are a Young Adult Carer and would like support, please do contact us via firstpoint or alternatively email us directly at  We also have copies of 'The Really Useful Book of Learning and Earning for Young Adult Carers' for you to take away.