The Money Advice Service is here to provide students and potential students at the University of Worcester with welfare and financial advice and support.

To arrange an appointment with a Money Adviser, please email firstpoint or phone 01905 54 2551.   

Extra Help for Full-time Students with Children or Adult Dependants

Childcare Grant

A non-repayable Childcare Grant, based on income, may be available to full-time students with dependent children in accredited childcare as long as neither you or your partner are claiming Tax Free Childcare, the childcare element of Working Tax Credits or the childcare element of Universal Credit. Eligible students can still receive Child Tax Credits as detailed below. The amount you will receive depends on your circumstances. In 2020/21, the amount of the grant is up to £174.22 per week based on 85% of actual childcare costs for one child only, or £298.69 per week for two or more children.

Find out more on the GOV.UK webpage on the Childcare Grant.


Childcare Grant Payment Method

Student Finance England (SFE) make childcare payments directly to your childcare provider. When the provider makes a request for payment SFE will contact you for your approval of the invoice amount and for you to release payment from your Childcare Grant account. 85% of each bill can be paid through your SFE childcare grant account and you will need to pay the remaining 15% yourself.


Parents' Learning Allowance

The non-repayable Parents’ Learning Allowance provides help for course-related expenses to eligible students who have dependent children. The amount you will receive is based on your income and that of your dependents (including husband, wife or partner). In 2020/21, the maximum allowance paid is £1,766 a year. Applications should be made to Student Finance England.

Find out more on the GOV.UK webpage on the Parent's Learning Allowance.


Universal & Child Tax Credit

Students with dependent children are eligible to receive Universal Credit from DWP or Child Tax Credit (CTC) from HM Revenue and Customs, and some student income is disregarded for this purpose. Students receiving the maximum amount of CTC and no Working Tax Credit or Universal Credits with a net household income (not including benefits) of £7,400 pa are entitled to free school meals for their children.

To find out whether you are eligible for Tax Credits you should contact HM Revenue and Customs on 0300 200 3300 or see the GOV.UK webpage on Child Tax Credits.

To find out whether you are eligible for Universal Credits you should contact the Department for Work & Pensions on 0800 328 5644 or see the GOV.UK webpage on Universal Credit.


Adult Dependants' Grant

If you have a partner or other adult, usually a member of your family, for example a partner in receipt of means tested benefits, who depends on you financially, then you may be eligible for an Adult Dependants’ Grant through Student Finance England. The amount you will receive depends on your income and that of your adult dependant. In 2020/21, the amount of the grant is up to £3,094 a year.  

Find out more on the GOV.UK webpage on the Adult Dependants' Grant.