What is the difference between an Appeal and a Complaint?

An Academic Appeal is made to the Academic Registrar if there has been an administrative error in the conduct of an assessment, application of the regulations or some other irregularity relevant to an assessment.

A Complaint would be made in respect of a students experience at University including the relationships with administration, any services, departments, the Student Union or discrimination issues.

I have tried to resolve my complaint informally with the person but I am still not satisfied. What should I do now?

If you remain dissatisfied having attempted to resolve any issue informally, you have the right to make a formal complaint by using the appropriate form which can be submitted at Firstpoint, emailed to or posted to the Complaints & Appeals Officer.

How do I make a complaint?

In the case of any cause for complaint, as a first step, the student should seek to resolve it with the appropriate tutor or other individual. In many cases, that person can best respond to the complaint.

However, if the complaint cannot be resolved by this informal approach then the student has the right to use the formal complaints procedure and complete a complaints form.

Within the form you are expected to demonstrate how you have attempted to resolve the matter informally.

Do I have to put my name to a complaint?

The University will not investigate complaints which are made anonymously.

Can I make a complaint against a student using the Complaints procedure?

No there is a separate procedure for complaining about the behaviour of another student.  Please contact firstpoint or the Students Union for advice on this.   

What happens if I am unhappy with the outcome of my complaint?

If a student is unsatisfied with the outcome of the complaint after the Stage One investigation, he/she has the right to refer it to a Pro Vice Chancellor for a review at Stage Two.

A complaint can be referred to Stage Two of the complaints procedure by writing to the Complaints & Appeals Officer ( within  10 working days of receipt of the Stage One outcome.

A student may be invited to meet with the Pro Vice Chancellor or their nominee.