Appeals and Complaints

Appeals and Complaints

Sometimes things do go wrong. In most cases matters can be resolved quickly and informally at a local level. If you continue to be dissatisfied with the response then you can submit an academic appeal or a formal complaint. 


The complaints procedures are designed to complement the academic appeals process and will consider any other subject relating to the student experience.

Advice on making a complaint:-

  • Read the Student Complaints Procedures which explains the three stages to the process, the Informal Stage, Stage One and finally Stage Two.   

  • Act early - don't let a grievance or complaint fester. Tackle the problem at source by speaking to the person directly responsible (informal resolution). Take a friend with you (they must be a member of the University), if this helps.

  • Be clear about what your complaint or grievance is really about, and what outcome you want to achieve.

  • Write down your complaint and the desired outcome. If you are unsure about whether or how to proceed, contact the Complaints and Appeals Officer by emailing Or if you prefer, you can go to the Adviser in the Students' Union or to a Student Representative for help.  Please see information here.  

  • Remember the University is committed to dealing with student complaints sympathetically. If you want to, you can act with other students to bring a group complaint.

  • You may ask to keep the matter confidential, although this may restrict the help that University staff can give you. Unless there are exceptional considerations, any person who is the subject of a complaint has the right to be supplied with a copy of the complaint.

Please follow the links below for the formal complaint form and complaints procedure flowchart.  

Complaints Procedure Flowchart

Formal Complaint Form

Please be aware that if you have any concerns regarding harassment and discrimination, whether it be by a fellow student or a member of staff instead of using the complaints procedure you should consult the Dignity at Work & Study Procedures.  Staff and students who feel they are being harassed or bullied are strongly recommended to seek advice from an Initial Adviser as soon as possible to ensure that the situation is addressed appropriately.

Academic Appeals

If you are appealing against an academic decision, you should follow the Academic Appeals Procedures. You will find details here of how to challenge a decision.  Please note that academic appeals will only be considered if they are entered within ten working days of the grade being confirmed by the Board of Examiners, and published on your SOLE page. 

Academic Appeals Flowchart

Academic Appeal Form

In the event that you remain dissatisfied having concluded all of the internal mechanisms, you may be able to seek review from the Office of the Independent Adjudicator.

If you need any further information or advice please contact: firstpoint via this link or e-mail: