BREXIT information for University of Worcester employees

The University of Worcester’s community includes approximately 60 staff from non-UK countries in the European Union. The diversity of our staff is welcomed and valued and we recognise the benefits that come from a workforce of many nationalities.  

The UK has now left the European Union and there is a transition period until the end of 2020 while the UK and EU negotiate additional arrangements.

The current rules on trade, travel, and business for the UK and EU will continue to apply during the transition period.

At this stage (February2020) the advice from the UK government for EU nationals employed in the UK is as follows:

EU nationals currently living and working in the UK

·The UK government has reached an agreement with the EU that will protect the rights of EU citizens and their family members living in the UK.  It has also reached an agreement with Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein, and a separate agreement with Switzerland.  These agreements mean that most citizens from the EU, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein (EEA) and Switzerland will need to apply to continue living in the UK after 30th June 2021.  They can then continue to live in the UK as they do now.

·If you are an EEA or Swiss national you can apply to the EU Settlement Scheme, free of charge, to enable you to continue to live in the UK after the UK leaves the EU.  Depending on how long you have been living in the UK you will be able to apply for settled or pre-settled status.  This will enable you to continue to be eligible for public services such as healthcare and schools, public funds and pensions.

·You may be able to stay in the UK without applying, for example, if you are an Irish citizen or have Indefinite Leave to Remain status.

· To check whether you need to apply for settled status and for further details on how to apply please visit:

Driving in the UK for EU nationals

·To check whether you can drive in the UK on a non-UK licence please visit

UK nationals who need to visit the EU after the UK leaves the EU

·The Government offers advice on visiting Europe after Brexit here:  Before you travel you are advised to check your passport and ensure that you have sufficient healthcare cover and the relevant driving documentation.

We appreciate that this is a time of uncertainty and we will continue to provide updates as and when further information is available. 

In addition to the above links the Government has a simple online tool to help people understand what the implications of the UK leaving the EU might be

If you have particular concerns please contact:

·Students: Please visit Firstpoint in the Peirson building or email

·Staff: Please email

Please note that whilst we will be able to signpost you to relevant information we are not able to provide personalised immigration advice. You can sign up for email updates about the status of EU citizens living in the UK here